Friday, February 22, 2008

Just the Pills Please Miss

I can't always remember what I've already posted on this blog and I'm too damn lazy to scroll back through everything I've written, so this may be a repeat story. I don't really know............or care.

Bob came in holding his right ribs complaining that he had fallen off the back of a truck 15 minutes prior. He stated his pain level was 10/10. I took him back to an exam room immediately and started my assessment. I had him undress and put a gown on. That's when I got a good view of his injured area.

I shook my head.

"Bob, what really happened?" I asked.

"Huh? What? I told you," he replied.

"Bob, I know you're not telling me the truth. What do you want?"

Bob hung his head and said "I just want some Vicodin."

"Well, you're not gonna get it. Anything else we can do for you?"

"Nah, I'll just go home."

Bob's injured area was a small abrasion approx 2 X 3 inches which was mostly scabbed over. He had picked portions of the scab off to make it bleed. He thought he could pass that off as an acute injury.

Not on this nurse.

I had 3 more interactions with Bob over the next 2 weeks. He finally got to the point where if he saw me as his ER nurse, he turned and walked out the door. Eventually he moved across the state. Wonder if I had anything to do with that or not?

No comments: