Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Elderly and UTI's

I walked into the room at 11 PM and was met with the sight of a 78 year old naked lady laying spread eagle on the stretcher.

Oh my.

"Mrs. Smith, you're naked," I said.

"Oh my," she giggled. "Am I?"

I giggled back. "Yes, you are. Let's cover you back up." I put her gown back on and pulled the blankets back up over her body.

She laughed. "OK dear, let's do that."

I rounded on her 30 minutes later. She was naked again.

"Mrs. Smith. You're naked again!" I couldn't help but laugh. She had a huge smile on her face, her arms were thrown back over her head, and she was giggling again. Like a little school girl.

"Oh my........giggle, giggle.........did I do that again? HeeHee."

"Let's pull these covers back up," I said as I put her gown on her and replaced her blankets once again.

"Thank you dear!"

I went to check on my chest pain patient next door. I returned to see Mrs. Smith in another 30 minutes.

Naked again.

Laughing hysterically.

"Mrs. Smith! What are you doing?" I laughed.

"What dearie?" she replied.

"You are naked again!"

"Oh my.........snicker, giggle......again? Oh my.....heehee. I don't know why I keep doing that. Giggle."

She was so pleasantly confused she then pulled out her catheter. She stared at it and started laughing. "What's this thing?"

I couldn't help myself. I was laughing so hard I had tears coming down my face. She thought everything she did was the most hilarious thing she'd ever seen, which in turn made me want to spend all my time in her room. She was extremely entertaining.

She finally settled down for the night and fell asleep...........naked.

1 comment:

NocturnalRN said...

I always enjoy these type of confused patients too.